Sunday, August 1, 2010

Football Babyyyyy

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls...it is excellent to be back blogging. I know it's been a long time but with the arrival of football season and my beloved fantasy football league I felt as though I had to come with a post.

First off, I ran pretty hot to get the 2nd pick in the draft, however, I didn't keep it for long because I've been grinding the trade world hard. The first trade I did was send 19, 22, and 59 to Ryan for 5 and 45....then I traded 2 and 39 to Trey for 3 and 23. So I went from

2, 19, 22, 39, 42, and 59 to 3, 5, 23, 42, and 45

I really feel good about these trades and I think being able to get two elite running backs will be a huge advantage over field because I really don't think there are too many out there, especially in a half point per reception league. Either way, the league should be alot of fun and I really can't wait for the live draft. It's something new we're doing this year and it's gonna be a good chance for everyone to get together, hang, meet each other and have a good time.

Now I'm gonna pull a Matthew Barry and give my rundown of players and teams I love and hate this year....

LOVE:::

DeAngelo Williams- I know this may be a shock to some of you, but it's so quickly how we forget who the number one fantasy running back was two years ago. In 2008 he had over 1500 yards and 18 TDs. Last year through 10 games he had 986 yards and 7 TDs....extrapolate that over 16 games and he was on pace for 1571 yards and 11 TDs. The only thing that held him back was injuries, so if he can stay healthy he should have a big year. I hate how everyone say him and Stewart will split carries and they had the same numbers last year. The only reason Stewarts numbers got even close to DeAngelo's was because he missed the better part of 5 games, and during those games he was out or limited Stewart went nuts. In the first 10 games when Williams was healthy J-Stew had 465 yards and 6 TDs....during the last 5 games when D-Will was limited he had 589 yards and 4 TDs. Enough said.

Frank Gore- 5th rated running back last year and missed almost 3 games. If he stays healthy he has a chance to challenge for top fantasy RB this year.

Brandon Marshall- He's happy now and he has always had all world talent. He finally has a QB with a big arm again and we all see what he did with Jay Cutler 2 years ago. Yea Miami runs the ball alot, but when they decided to throw I think those 8 man fronts will give Marshall quite a bit of room to maneuver. I'll take a guaranteed 100 plus catches and 10 TDs any day.


Joseph Addai- Great guy in PPR leagues. Plays on a great offense and will always get his share of scores. Very consistent and Donald Brown did NOTHING when he had chances last year. Should be another solid and steady year for Addai.

Steve Breaston- Great hands and will get a lot of looks while teams focus on Fitzgerald.

Kevin Kolb- Ryan made a great point....kinda reminds you of Aaron Rodgers a bit doesn't he?

HATE:

Andre Johnson- Let me first say I do actually like him alot and I still think he's clearly the #1 receiver. However, it should be noted when Owen Daniels was healthy Andre averaged 5.4 cathes and 90 yard per game, but when Owen Daniels was out he averaged 7 catches and 109 yard per game.....just sayin. Plus he has a history of injuries and who knows if Matt Schaub will produce the same type of year this year that he had last year.

Larry Fitzgerald- Matt Leinart + Double Covered every play. Sounds kinda like what happened to Steve Smith. No thanks.

Jonathan Stewart- See DeAngelo Williams.

Hines Ward- No big ben for 6 games and another year older.

Vincent Jackson- Great talent, limited brain. Already out 3 games and talking about how he wants out of San Diego....I'll pass.

Steven Jackson- How many years in a row will this guy score single digit TDs and/or get hurt before people will quit wasting a top 5 pick on him. Talent-wise he clearly has it but on that offense even he can only do so much...

Anquan Boldin- Big difference in being single covered with Kurt Warner and double covered with Joe Flacco.

Tom Brady- Going to put up numbers similiar to Romo, Schaub, and Rivers and is going 2 rounds earlier.

Reggie Bush- LOL



Sleeper Teams:

NY Giants- Fell off the map the 2nd half of last year. I look for then to play more like their first half record of 6-2 this season. They have had all off season to correct the issues in the secondary and I think they have too much talent on the D-line to not be better agains the pass.

Panthers- Looked GREAT the last 3 games of the season under Matt Moore. Beat 3 quality teams in the Giants, Vikings, and Saints and if they can get off to a good start they always finish well. Great RBs and O-Line. If the D-line is even close to as good as it was last year the panthers are a playoff team. Plus as we all know, the worse people perceive them in the preseason the better they end up being...

49ers- Have one of the easiest schedules in the NFL, a very solid defense, and an offense that is finally set and ready to go. I'm interested to see what Alex Smith can do in a full year with a solid supporting cast like this one.

Tennessee-Finished 6-2 under Vince Young. Have the best running back in the NFL and fixed their defensive problems the second half of last year.

KC- Talent on both sides of the ball and they went out and got a touchdown machine and leader in Thomas Jones. Dwayne Bowe is one of the most talented receivers in the NFL if he can get his head straight and Jamaal Charles might be the next Chris Johnson.

Green Bay- They finally put it all together this year.


Overrated:

New England- Not even Belichick and Brady will be able to pull this one out. No Wes Welker, the defense from the 1992 Pro Bowl, and leading running back with fumblitis.

Saints- Superbowl hangover. Their severely overrated defense lead the NFL in turnover last year and I don't expect that to continue. They will have to win alot of games by outscoring the other team, which they can do....but it won't be a 13-3 superbowl year again.

Baltimore- Everyone's going crazy about Anquan Bolding being in town, but everyone forgets about the loses on the defensive side of the ball. Ed Reed is still the best safety in the NFL and without him the defense suffers alot. Plus, even with Boldin that offense still doesn't particularly excite me.

Washington- Not even a 6-time pro bowl QB has a chance in this offense. Plus their best player, Albert Haynesworth, doesn't even want to be there. People are high on them, but they won't be any better than a .500 team this year.

NY Jets- A second year QB who didn't show me much last year. A couple of knuckle head receivers who can't catch a cold. Got rid of not 1 but 2 high quality running backs....one of which had 1300+ yards and 14+ TDs two years in a two. And oh yeah, their best player, Darrell Reavis, is holding out. Sounds like a superbowl team to me.


I'll be back and posting regularly throughout football season and I'll probably touch on some baseball too as we get near the playoffs.


Zack

1 comment:

  1. Spot on with your sleepers. I think your overrated teams are very close. Ravens are gonna be good though. They will win the division, and remember Ed Reed is always hurt. Ravens are getting use to playing without him.

    ReplyDelete