Before I get into what it’s like living in this city, I’d like to point out to anyone attempting the same feat…take every dollar you have…and burn it…pretty much what it takes to move across the country…stick a woman in the passenger seat and take every dollar you have…double it…and burn it…bingo. I have literally started my life over…my IRA, savings, everything is gone. This is without a doubt the hardest thing I’ve ever tried to do. I refuse to fail. PS, I’d like everyone to know that due to the financial constraints of a woman and new residence plus the fore mentioned “refuse to fail” attitude…my gambling has been nearly non-existent. Were it not for the (very) occasional $10 football parlay and two hour session of No Limit Texas Hold’em…I would have done more betting for dollars back in
“You’re moving to Vegas Mike?? I could never do that…I’d die!” The rate of deaths to new residents in Las Vegas in inversely proportional to the intelligence of said new residents…if I have to explain that last sentence to you…I don’t recommend the road trip.
I’ve found that of the 2 million and three people who live here…one million hate it, one million love it, and three are undecided (weirdos). The people who hate it usually have zero dollars due to the 24 hour access of booze, boobs, dice, and boobs. The one million who love it make all their money off the one million who hate it…and the circle of life is complete.
Driving across the country in a Honda Accord Coupe towing a U-Haul only sounds like a barrel of monkeys. In reality it’s an epic journey requiring 18 tanks of gas and touching the speed limit only if you’re going downhill. The trip can be done in three days…but we decided to stretch it out over 3.5 days nearly missing the signing of the lease for the Vegas chapter of The Estate which would have been brutal considering the consequence was sleeping in the car for three nights…no spank you…
The house is nice as Jay, Birch, her Mom, my Mom and Dad, Trey, Laura, Mazin, Rash, and
I started this residence as a transfer at the local Chili’s…literally making $34 a week. After numerous individuals explaining to me there’s no way I could get a job on the strip in Vegas without previous experience…I secured a job as a Race and Sports Book writer at Bally’s/
In an effort to supplement my income, I kept searching for another part time job. Somehow I’ve been hired by two more poker rooms (The M (www.theMresort.com) and The Venetian ß GIANT brag (www.Venetian.com)…which may spell the end of my tenure at Mandalay Bay considering my boss’ attitude on split availability has the approximate texture of stale toast. I’m doing what I can to take advantage of all this now as once dental school starts (Fall 2011?) there won’t be any time to work.
The visits of friends and family have been great. The first acquaintance from home to partake in the new chapter was Mr. Tony Rose…thanks buddy.
The most recent visit was by the Three Caballeros…better known as Jonathan “Legal in
The woman moved home to finish school…so we’ve hit the proverbial “pause” button on the relationship until she’s got the degree and I’ve had the opportunity to financially get back on my feet and can actually afford her (at least in principal)…which of course means that during this break she can do whatever she wants but I can’t…obviously ;-)
To keep in the rhythm of the previous posts…a few comments as well as 2010 “resolutions” of my own:
1 – I am now and forever assuming a piece of anyone selling action (Rash, Mazin,
2 – I will run two marathons by April at a sub 3 hour pace…boom
3 – I will do the P90X in 89 days (aka get back into shape and stay in shape at or above the level of Jon Rash)…I love it…but I HATE it…
4 – Make 10K in poker without playing a hand because I will have bought 10% of the action on Mazin and Rash who’re going to cash for 50K+ each
5 – Rash…I’ve read the bible…it doesn’t get really really good til the end…
6 – Take a giant step towards Dental School (other than leaving my friends, family, and life to move across the country and start from scratch)…meaning acquire Nevada Residency, dominate any classes UNLV can throw my way…and simply crush all “Nay Sayers” (or “haters” in skreet speak) who doubt my ability to succeed…
7 – Be as cool as Mazin and sexy as Zack
8 – Watch the fountains of the Bellagio at least twice a month
9 – Simply eat three meals a day that consist of more than hot dogs and bagels
10 – Have more pennies to spend…and then don’t spend them.
11 – Be that 6 figure score and spread the wealth to all who helped me get where I am…you know who you are…and the spreading of wealth will be epic
12 – My house is always open to you…call me when your plane lands and I’ll be there to pick you up…simple as that…
Call late and call often, 702.556.6293, Mike@Finneran.Biz
143
Mike Finneran
contrary to belief, my job is not action packed all the time, and this is one of the few "gambling" websites thats not blocked off by the government, so i actually check this fairly often. nice post
ReplyDelete